Saturday, February 4, 2012

Day 2

2 February 2012
Today's ride was more of the same.  Started with some lunge work; he was lazy and much less engaged compared to yesterday evening.  We did a 'circle' exercise where we spiraled in to the center of the ring, but it was more of a box shape than a circle.  I made square turns and moved the shoulders over on each one (almost like a reverse on the haunches) to travel in, then leg yielded smoothly out.  This was a fantastic exercise for Arty, as it showed him what I wanted when I asked his shoulders over.  Did this in the walk and the trot.  He is still bending his shoulders in around corners, but much more balanced on circles and serpentines.  Still wants to fall in while working on the rail.
The ride was again very short.  I tacked him up in the arena, letting him stand free while I put the saddle on.  He was again not keen on taking the bit, and getting him to open his mouth was a challenge.  When I first started using a bit on him, we had this issue.  Then, I started placing a mint in my hand with the bit & the problem was solved.  Apparently though, others haven't been keeping with this tradition and he's regressed back to his old ways.  Feet look a little wonky, & I think pictures are in order.
Tacking up in the arena
Ignore the pink rubber boots and concentrate on the fuzzy pony

No comments:

Post a Comment