Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 5

5 February 2012
Arty's straightness was much better today.  We managed to make it down the wall without falling in at any point in time.  It was gorgeous and sunny out, and the kind of weather that just makes you happy, and I think the pony was feeling it.  He was relaxed and content to just follow along with whatever plan I had.  I tried out his canter, and it was better to the left (his bad direction) than it was to the right.  Stiff and unyielding, but more balanceable to the left than the right.  Transitions were awful- did some work on them but not much.  Once he's not requiring so much leg to stay straight we'll buckle down on the transitions.
It was so muddy out that Arty didn't want to move his feet at all when I went out to get him.  The mud was probably a solid 4-6 inches deep at least- deeper in some spots.  Thus, I decided to leave him in his stall after I rode.  It was mid- afternoon and they would all be coming in for the night in an hour or two.  I had to muck out his 'already mucked' stall though.  Thankfully some new shavings had been added, and you could only smell the ammonia when you bent down versus smelling it the second you set foot in the stall.  A horse's stall should not smell worse than my chicken coop... even if my chicken coop doesn't stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment